Olds 425 Motor Assembly Page..... (Page 3)

UPDATE: Got the long block essentially together, everything torqued to spec, the cam degreed and found to be right on, straight up, #1 intake centerline right at 109 deg, valve/piston clearances checked, plenty of room, coil bind clearances no problem, looks good to go for me....

Here's the bottom end girdle all bolted down, I put a thin layer of "The Right Stuff", by Permatex, under those side rails to seal them against the block....

Had to cut, notch, and weld the pan to fit around the girdle side rails, let's see how well I can seal this off against oil leaks! I expect to get some leakage here, just want to keep it minimized...

Got the intake manifold on and torqued down, started to put the valve covers on and found the fasteners I had were too long, so need to cut them a bit or find shorter ones....

Here's a closeup of the Comp Cams rockers I'm using. They are the "Ultra Pro Magnum XD" 1.6 ratio rockers. I had tried the 1.7 ratio rockers but the pushrods were hitting the hole in the heads, so it was either enlarge the holes for clearance or go to the 1.6 ratio, I took the "easy" route and installed the 1.6 ratio, no problems now.....

The rockers spec'd by Edelbrock for these Olds Performer RPM heads are the Ford 351W rockers. They are look'n good on there.....

I'm also using Comp Cams roller hydraulic lifters and ordered custom length 9.500" by 5/16" pushrods from Comp Cams.....

I was still getting some possible interference (slight) with 3/8" pushrods, so went with the 5/16" to eliminate any possible problem there. With the fairly mild cam and valve springs I am using, it should not be a problem....

Here's a Link to the Ultra Pro Magnum rocker website....





Sometime Earlier:

Got the heads assembled, found out I forgot to order the rockers (actually, used them on another project and forgot to order the replacements...), did that today, so will have to wait now until those arrive....

Here's the cam specs, Comp Cams hydraulic roller: 230/236 degrees duration at .050; .539/.549 lift; 113 degrees lobe separation; Should be a nice mellow street cam with a bit of a lope to it.... I think it will be a great cam for that 6/71 blower...

Left light springs on #1 cylinder so I could degree the cam and check valve/piston clearances....

Put all the pistons/rods together, my fingers are sore from twisting in those spiralocks to retain the floating piston pins, four per piston!!!





2Loose Willy's Gasser Project, Blower Motor Assembly (page 3):

I think I have built/modified everything I could think of before pulling the motor mockup out and beginning the final build.

I don't like to build a motor until just before firing it up for the first time, so I usually just put a mockup in and build everything else around it, like the mounts, headers, fuel lines, radiator, etc; so that everything will be ready when the final completed motor is built and put in place, ready to be fired up for the first time. So I pulled the motor out, stripped it down (blower, intake, heads) and got it ready for assembly:

The above pix is an old one, since then the firewall has been patched, smoothed and painted, left all the patches showing though, like it that way!!!

The block is now fully machined, scrubbed, and ready for freeze plugs and some fresh paint....

Freeze plugs in, and block painted....

Bolted down the outer rail support portions of the girdle support system, and drop in the upper main bearing shells, well oiled of course....

The block was previously machined specifically for this girdle system, the outer block rail pan bolt holes were enlarged for these studs that hold down the outer supports....

Next the main bearing caps, bottom bearing shells, and main bearing studs were carefully installed....

The main support girdle was bolted in place. The main bearing caps were machined to fit this girdle and provide a specific amount of preload on the main bearing caps when the girdle is bolted down to the outer rail supports....

This girdle support system for my '67 Olds 425 is provided by J&S Machine Shop in Topeka, IL.... Thanks Jim!

Link to J & S Machine Shop

Now to start assembling the rod and pistons.... Pistons are from JE, rods are by K1 (Carillo) out of China.... The pistons are dished for 8:1 cr, full floating pins, and the rods are 7" long....

Forged pistons from JE, dished for 8:1 cr....

Link To JE Pistons

Rods are by K1, 7" long....

Link To K1 Rods

More later......

Here's some links to more pix:

Assembling The Blower Motor (Page 4)

Assembling The Blower Motor (Page 2)

Some Interior Views, Seats Modified and Upholstered!!!

Fabbing A Pair Of Drive Shaft Safety Hoops

Working On The Fuel System

Patching Up Some Of The Sheet Metal Holes.....

Building A Set Of Fenderwell Headers....

Adding A Front Sway Bar......

Twelve Point Cage Build Coming Along, Finally Done....

Dog Dish Hubcaps? Air Filter Rain Covers? Looks Good To Me........

Setting Up The Rear Axle and Suspension page 2

Setting Up The Rear Axle and Suspension page 1

Cutting A Hole In The Hood, and Setting The Fenders....

Installing The Radiator

Setting Up The Tilt Front End

Setting Up The Steering and Suspension 2

Setting Up The Steering and Suspension

Setting Up The Front Axle 2

Setting Up The Front Axle 1

The Mad Frame Whacker Attacks......

Starting to Fit Parts Here and There

Narrowing The Front Axle

Found This Ford F100 Front Axle

Trial fit for the 6-71, a Don Hampton special.

Reworking an Olds 425 to take a 6-71 huffin on it. (Page 1)

Pulled apart a '67 Olds 400 motor for spare parts.....

Did Some Porting Work on some Edelbrock Olds Heads

Back to the '55 Gasser Home Page

Back to the 2Loose Home Page



































































HTML Editor - Flash - Web Hosting
Home of the CoffeeCup HTML Editor