My Latest Project, a '55 Chevy Hardtop (Updated June, 2013):

Working over the floors and the trunk. The condition is not too bad, but it does need a "mini-tub" job and some sheet metal replacement work, mostly in the trunk....

My thought is to wire wheel brush all of it, get it as clean as I can, weld in replacement panels where needed, then do a good quality paint job, top and bottom....

UPDATE #2:

Got the trunk patched, welded, and coated with bed liner, came out great! Will carpet it eventually:

Started working on the inside floor. Mostly just patching some rusted out spots, wire brushing, prepping with ospho, then using the same bed liner I used in the trunk. Still have a little welding to do on the front part of the mini-tubs, closing up some holes left over from moving the tubs over:

UPDATE #1:

I got the spare tire well filled in, the floor pieces welded back in, and a few new floor panel patches welded in, and the right side tub all trimmed, fitted, and welded in place, now will do the left side, then fill in the gaps at the tops of the tubs...

Here I got everything located, welded in place, and the "mini-tub" gaps all filled in with sheet metal. Still have to weld in some supports for the trunk hinges on top of the tubs....

A few more small patches are needed here, then some wire brush wheel work on the surface rust, some Ospho on the rust spots, some seam sealer here and there, then primer and finish paint.

FIRST POST (for this page):

Working over the floors and the trunk. The condition is not too bad, but I'm doing a "mini-tub" job, and some sheet metal replacement work, mostly in the trunk....

My thought is to wire brush all of it, get it as clean as I can, weld in replacement panels where needed, then do a good quality paint job on the floors, inside and out....

I have cut out the inner rear tubs, and still have to weld them back in, and fill in the hole for the spare tire well, and a few other trunk pieces....

I usually weld that open section behind the rear seat also, but in this case I'm thinking if I make it a flip down section, I can stick a surfboard or other long objects in the trunk through into the back seat, am thinking about it anyway....

I am leaving the trunk as open space, no fuel cell. I have a newly welded up stainless 20 gallon tank to hang this car, but unfortunately it is not setup with a fuel pump well for an efi system, so will be using an inline efi pump mounted next to the tank to feed the LT1 motor...

Started trimming and fitting the inside tubs to move them over even with the outside of the frame rails....

When I cut out the inner portion of the rear wheel wells to widen them, I left lots of "flange" on the floor portion, which will be fitted and welded to the old floor. The tub had to be trimmed and notched to fit against the floor properly, and around the upright behind the rear seat, when it is shifted sideways to widen the wheel well. Here's a shot of those notches and trimming....

The floor is flanged down at the tubs and spot welded to the tub itself. When it is shifted over some of the flange floats above the frame rail, but if it touches the frame rails, some adjustment is needed to get clearance. Some more trimming is needed here, but in one area I choose to fold it over and hammer it flat, you can see that in this pix on the tub toward the right of center...

First trial fit, still needs more trimming and a little more work with a hammer and it will fit nicely, then I will make a cardboard template and cut a piece of sheet metal to put in that opening across the top of the tub...

When I cut out the inner portion of the rear wheel wells to widen them, I left lots of "flange" on the floor portion, which will be fitted and welded to the old floor. The tub had to be trimmed and notched to fit against the floor properly, and around the upright behind the rear seat, when it is shifted sideways to widen the wheel well. Here's a shot of those notches and trimming....

A plate will be added from the trunk hinge down to the wheel tub to replace the support that was cut out when the tub was moved.

Inside view, you can see where that big notch fits around the upright support behind the back seat...

Here's where I folded over that portion of the flange and hammered it flat to clear the frame. As you can see a slight amount of trimming still needed to keep that flange from making contact with the frame rail...

The fit is pretty good in front. Might trim a slight bit more to move the tub over just a hair more over the frame rail...

Same comment at the back of the right side tub inside....

BACK to the '55 Hardtop Home Page

HTML Editor - Flash - Web Hosting
Home of the CoffeeCup HTML Editor