My Latest Project, a '55 Chevy Hardtop (Updated Jan, 2013)

This is PAGE TWO for this project, links to more pages will be added as this project progresses.

UPDATE: Got the front clip off and started pulling off the front suspension....

Found some rust in the firewall where the air box is on the inside. Will have to check out the air box inside also, it might have to be repaired or replaced....

Got the suspension off....

These parts are in good shape, brakes are good, I had previously upgraded the lug bolts to 1/2"....

I'll clean these up and put them up for sale, someone will want them for a resto job....

Finally the motor and tranny comes out....

Got the LT1 motor out of storage and checking it all out, and the Heidt's front syspension system to see if all the parts are there. Disk brakes and 2" dropped spindles, with QA1 coil overs....

First Post This Page:

Finally hauled my '55 hardtop out of storage and into the Old Dudes shop and got to work on it....

Then started loading up parts I had accumulated for this project over the years, and parts I had pulled off when I was working on it, like the hood, trunk lid, and rear seats.

Since I recently got my '55 half ton running again, I put it to work hauling parts up to the shop....

Here's a couple more shots around our shop if you're interested....

Most of the rigs being worked on here are purely race cars. They are putting in better cages, more like a funny car, and are planning on running 8's or 7's. Most of us have seen some bad accidents at the track, so if we're gonna go fast, we want some really good protection around us. In addition to my car, there are seven other cars in various stages of work at the moment:

-home-built oversized T-bucket style roadster, tube frame, built 283 and an M-21;

-'63 Tempest full on race car, huge motor set way back, tube chassis;

-Nova with a huge motor, getting a better cage;

-mid 80's Chevy truck getting a light, tube chassis and a rebuilt huge motor;

-mid-80's Camaro getting a better cage and a huge motor rebuild;

-'59 Ford pro street truck with a huge motor getting updated and rebuilt where needed;

-altered roadster race car, another home-built, with a huge motor, it's ready to run low-nines this Feb on our opening day.

Back to my project, first I need to finish welding in the rear "mini-tubs", and cleaning up the trunk area, replace sheet metal where needed, remove rust, paint....

The inside floors have surface rust, but are surprisingly solid! The worst place I've found is in the back seat, left side just in front of the wheel tub:

Just as a side note, I just noticed that the driver's side door "flipper" is pretty banged up at the front, and only flips down when closing the door if the window's rolled up. If the window is rolled down it won't flip "closed" when the door is closed. Put it on the "to do" list...

And was looking over the side trim, it's in pretty good shape for original stuff, this is typical of how it looks. Am thinking right now just buff the stainless to get it really shiney, and leave the original white paint just how it is, after all, "It's Original"....

BACK to the '55 Hardtop Home Page

More Later....



































































































































































HTML Editor - Flash - Web Hosting
Home of the CoffeeCup HTML Editor