More Mods On The Front Suspension....

While road testing, I found the side to side movement in the front leaf springs to be more than I liked. I decided to install a panhard bar to tie that down. The front cross steer drag link is 38" long, so I designed and fabbed a 38" panhard bar with 3/4" heim joints on the ends.

The challenge was to locate it as parallel to the drag link as I could and still be out of the way of the leaf spring travel, the sway bar movement, and the axle travel. I mounted it as high as I could to eliminate interference with the sway bar movement and still allow full upward movement of the axle and leaf springs. I mounted it to the frame on the left side, and the axle at the leaf spring/shock mount on the right side.

Welded up the panhard bar nice and straight....

The mount from the frame drops down about eight inches, so it needed to be beefy, and needed a horizontal cross bar to the cross member under the motor to control any side thrusts on the mount and make it firm and secure. Used 1/4" steel for all of this, and welded a plate to the frame with bolts so the mount could be removable....

This angle iron bar to the cross member really makes the mount solid...

The right end of the panhard bar is mounted to the shock mount at the leaf springs....

Lots of clearance for movement under the sway bar....

This shot is with the "old" '59 axle still under there....

Here's the "new" '48 axle under there now....

Once the front end is back together, the wheels are back on, and the weight is back on the springs, this will all level out and the panhard bar will be very close to parallel with the axle and the drag link....

A final shot as it sits on the ground....

More later, here's some links to other pages on this project site....

Got A New Front Axle....

The First Run! (page 1)

The Final Assembly! (page 2)

The Final Assembly! (page 1)

Assembling The Blower Motor (page 5)

Assembling The Blower Motor (page 4)

Assembling The Blower Motor (page 3)

Assembling The Blower Motor (page 2)

Reworking an Olds 425 to take a 6-71 huffin on it. (Page 1)

Some Interior Views, Seats Modified and Upholstered!!!

Fabbing A Pair Of Drive Shaft Safety Hoops

Working On The Fuel System

Patching Up Some Of The Sheet Metal Holes.....

Building A Set Of Fenderwell Headers....

Adding A Front Sway Bar......

Twelve Point Cage Build Coming Along, Finally Done....

Dog Dish Hubcaps? Air Filter Rain Covers? Looks Good To Me........

Setting Up The Rear Axle and Suspension page 2

Setting Up The Rear Axle and Suspension page 1

Cutting A Hole In The Hood, and Setting The Fenders....

Installing The Radiator

Setting Up The Tilt Front End

Setting Up The Steering and Suspension 2

Setting Up The Steering and Suspension

Setting Up The Front Axle 2

Setting Up The Front Axle 1

The Mad Frame Whacker Attacks......

Starting to Fit Parts Here and There

Narrowing The Front Axle

Found This Ford F100 Front Axle

Trial fit for the 6-71, a Don Hampton special.

Pulled apart a '67 Olds 400 motor for spare parts.....

Did Some Porting Work on some Edelbrock Olds Heads

Back to the '55 Gasser Home Page

Back to the 2Loose Home Page



































































HTML Editor - Flash - Web Hosting
Home of the CoffeeCup HTML Editor