2Loose Willy's Gasser Project, Setting up the front suspension and brakes.... UPDATE: Scroll down for the latest on the brake setup....

Finally got the brake calipers mounted, and found some NAPA brake hoses that fit, when I put the hoses on facing to the rear from the calipers, they hit the base of the shocks when cranked into full turn, so Ireversed the hoses, no problem now. I don't think having the hoses oriented this way will be a problem.

Here's how the hose connection at the caliper looks at full crank, both ways....

Fitted all the steel brake lines (3/16") for the front axle, the rear axle, along the frame, and the firewall to the master cylinder, pulled them off, wiped 'em down with solvent, and painted 'em rustoleum "safety red".....

Got the front lines mounted, used some nice ss clips I got from Speedway.... Still waiting for my brake MC from Bob's Classic Chevy, taking them forever to get it to me....

UPDATE: OK, I crawled under there and got really dirty, scrubbing the frame rails down, painting them, then I mounted the brake lines and started on the fuel lines under there, and started thinking about the electrical system....

In the meantime, my MC finally showed up, ftied to mount it and found the stock studs are too short! They are flat head carriage bolts pressed into the brake/clutch pedal assembly bracket, so I thought I could just tap them out and replace them with longer bolts... HA HA....

The flanges the bolts are mounted in bent instead, so had to crawl under the dash with a long rod and hammer and bend them back in place, then cut the two lower bolts off flush with the firewall, drill them out, and then put in new, longer bolts!!!

Here's how it looked when I tried to initially mount the MC...

UPDATE: Got the brake system all together and tightened up! I also wasn't too happy with the CPP proportioning valve they sent with this MC, it is non-adjustable, I'm used to setting my proportioning valves on my drum/disk brake systems myself when road testing to get the best balance of rear to front braking action. CPP says this is about 70/30 front/rear, so I will see how well that works when I get 'er out on the road....

Might not be too bad, with the high CG on this rig, there will be a lot of weight shift forward on hard braking, might be ok with 30% on the rear wheels....

Next, get some DOT #3 and fill/bleed the brake system, and I also started hanging the fuel system, running lines (feed and return) along the passenger side frame rail up to the pressure regulator....

More later......

Here's some links to more pix:

Setting Up The Steering and Suspension pg 2

Setting Up The Steering and Suspension pg 1

Setting Up The Tilt Front End

Setting Up The Front Axle 2

Setting Up The Front Axle 1

Narrowing The Front Axle

Found This Ford F100 Front Axle

Reworking an Olds 425 to take a 6-71 huffin on it.

Trial fit for the 6-71, a Don Hampton special.

Did Some Porting Work on some Edelbrock Olds Heads

Back to the '55 Gasser Home Page

Back to the 2Loose Home Page



































































HTML Editor - Flash - Web Hosting
Home of the CoffeeCup HTML Editor