2Loose Willy's Gasser Project, Setting up the front frame rails and suspension:

Setting the front axle assembly in place, and measuring, and measuring again.........

Setting the new front frame rails in place, squaring them up, using 2"x4"x1/8" on this.....

And making lots of marks on the floor, a centerline, parallel lines for the inside of the front frame rails, a plumb bob is getting a workout on this project......

This car sat in a field for 16 years before I found it, and it's leaking dirt out of every opening and seam every time I pound on it, or even just slamming the doors shut!!! Even after I pressure washed it pretty thoroughly when I first hauled it home!

Squared up the frame rails and tacked them in place, checking the wheel/axle location and how the springs will fit in there....

It was hot that day, needed lots of fluids to keep from getting dehydrated.....

Necking down the old frame to fit the new rails, and tacking it all together....

The frame rails have a lot of surface rust on them, but they are structurally in really good shape. When I found it, it had been moved into a construction yard from the pasture where it sat for 16 years, but it was still on it's wheels and tires, which were flat, but held air enough for the other guy to move it out of the pasture, and for me to move it to my place. So at least the car never settled down low enough for the frame to sit on the ground, and it was in a pretty dry area of the island, which kept the under side of the car in pretty good shape. I just don't know how all that dirt got into all the body and frame openings!!!

I'm going to be putting a full cage in this car, with front struts out to the frame in front of the front axle, so it will have plenty of structural support....

Flattened out the main spring leafs by bolting on piecees of angle iron, as I want the loaded position to run with the springs flat, I will add leafs as needed to get the springs to sit flat under full load once the motor and everything else is back on the car......

Set the front fenders back on to see how it looks, adjusted the wheel location front to back a bit, marked it, now fabbing up mounts for the springs, will be putting the shackles in the rear on this setup....

I'm setting up the springs with 5 deg caster as a starting point, then I can add additional caster if needed with steel wedges. Reading other gasser builds I find most are running between 8 and 12 degrees on the street with no handling problems. I'll try the 5 first and go from there....

Also in this shop is a '63 Poncho Le Mans that my buddy is building into a pretty awsum pro streeter! He's building up a radical Poncho 455 to put in it. He hasn't decided yet if he wants to make it street legal or not, but he definitely wants to race it, looking at 9 seconds on the motor alone....

I'm trying to talk him into tuning the motor build down a bit to make it streetable, and build it to run a Procharger setup, then he can run lower boost on the street with pump gas, and increase the boost at the track with race fuel....

More later......

Here's some links to more pix:

Setting up the Front axle 2

"Cut and Paste" the Front Axle

Found a '59 Ford F100 Front Axle.....

Reworking an Olds 425 to take a 6-71 huffin on it.

Trial fit for the 6-71, a Don Hampton special.

Did Some Porting Work on some Edelbrock Olds Heads

Back to the '55 Gasser Home Page

Back to the 2Loose Home Page



































































HTML Editor - Flash - Web Hosting
Home of the CoffeeCup HTML Editor